Sample dispatches are used to organize the samples that are submitted to a lab for analysis. A sample dispatch consists of a header and a list of samples to be analyzed. The header provides all of the customer information and any instructions for the lab (e.g. analysis to be performed, instructions for sample storage, etc.).
In MX Deposit, a Sample Dispatch also serves as a sort of workflow for samples. Samples that are included in a sample dispatch are transitioned to a “sent” state when the sample dispatch is “dispatched”. This status value can then be used to determine what samples have been submitted for analysis and are ultimately waiting for lab results.
The sample dispatch header that is used when creating a new sample dispatch is determined by the sample analysis workflow configuration, specifically in the “sample submittal” step.
Create a Sample Dispatch Header
To create a sample dispatch header:
- Open the configuration menu.
- Under “Sampling” click on “Sample dispatch headers.”
- Click “New header.”
- Give your header a name.
- Select the appropriate category.
- Add a description (optional).
- Click “Next.”
- Before you can add any fields you’ll need to add your first section by moving your mouse under the “Dispatch date” field and then click on “Add section” when it appears.
To add an MX field:
- Ensure that the “MX Fields” tab is selected.
- Drag an MX Field from the right over to the left.
- When prompted select “Use MX field.”
To add a custom field:
- Ensure that the “Custom Fields” tab is selected.
- To use an existing custom field, drag one over to the left.
- To create a new custom field, drag the “Add custom field” container over to the left.
- Select a data type.
- Fill in the fields corresponding to the selected data type.
- Click “Save.”
- Custom fields are saved globally.
- Click “Publish”
Assign a sample dispatch to a sample analysis workflow
To assign a sample dispatch header to a sample analysis workflow:
- Open the configuration menu.
- Under “Sampling” click on “Sample analysis workflows”
- Click on the sample analysis workflow that you want to assign a sample dispatch to.
- Click on the “Sample submittal” section.
- Drag the sample dispatch header you want to assign to the sample analysis workflow from the right to the empty area on the left. If a sample dispatch header has already been assigned, you can drag a new one over top the existing one to replace it.
- Click the “Save and close” link to close the configuration screen.
Add a new sample dispatch
To add a new sample dispatch:
- From the sample dispatch screen, click on the “New dispatch” orange button in the upper right corner of the screen.
- Select the project / activity / sample analysis workflow that you want to add a new dispatch for.
- Fill in all required fields within the header.
- Click the “Prep & analysis codes” link in the upper right corner to specify the requested sample prep and sample analysis codes for this batch of samples.
- Click “Select samples” in the upper right corner of the screen.
- In the “Select hole” dialog, enter a search string to filter the list of samples for. The system will perform a wildcard search with any text that has been entered. For example, if you enter “DH1” as the text, it will return all drill holes that contain the text “DH1” (DH10, DH11, DH12, etc.). Click “Add samples” once you have entered the search string, and the list of samples will be populated based on the search string.
- If you ever need to change the search string, you can click on the “Select holes” link to re-open the “Select hole” dialog.
- Select the samples that you wish to include in the sample dispatch by clicking on the checkbox beside each sample number. You can also click the checkbox in the header row to select all visible samples.
- Once you have entered the header details and selected the samples to be included in the dispatch, click the “Dispatch samples” button. When you click the dispatch button, it has the following impact:
- Changes the status of the sample dispatch from “In progress” to “Sent”
- Locks out the dispatch for further editing (read-only)
- Changes the status of all included samples to “sent”
- When you perform an import of a lab certificate (in the Assays & QAQC module), the status of the samples that now have results will be set to “received”